Often at times, disasters such as the hurricanes that have hit lately, force one to vacate and abandon the house immediately with as fewer belongings as possible. Most of the times, people do have an emergency bag available for themselves that which they fill up with all their basic and most important belongings. However, most people do not consider what’s important for their pet dogs. Having an emergency evacuation kit for your dog could be extremely beneficial and can save you a lot of time in such a case.
Consider packing the following dog items in your pet dog’s evacuation kit:
- Spare leash and a collar: Do keep a spare collar and a leash with your dog’s name engraved on it and do not forget to add your contact information onto the leash in case your dog gets lost in the chaos.
- Medications for your dog (if any): Dogs and pets in general need medications just as much as humans do, in case they are suffering from a medical condition.
- Water purifier: Just like humans, your dog cannot survive without water either. Moreover, it is important for your pet to drink purified water if you want him/her to stay healthy. It is not very heavy and will come in extremely handy.
- A blanket/toy: If it is cold out there, do not forget your dog’s blanket and a familiar toy along with it. This will help your dog in feeling relaxed and more like at home.
- First aid kit: When natural disasters occur, and there is a sudden need of abandoning the house, you never know what challenge awaits you out there. So keep a first aid kit ready in this case. A first aid kit must contain stuff like supplies for bandages, wound cleaner (chlorhexidine or Iodine), a Vaseline, pain relieving ointments, and hydrogen peroxide.
- Food: A sudden change in the diet of your dog can result in diarrhea and vomiting. This is the last thing you would want outside the comfort of your house in an emergency struck zone. So pack at least a week’s worth of pet food in your pet’s bag along with enough dry food that can last longer. Also, consider packing some treats and snacks to keep your pet happy and relaxed.
- Duct tape: A duct tape can come extremely handy for quickly repairing things like the dog’s leash or a torn part of your dog’s clothing.
- Pet microchip: This is beneficial in locating your dog in case you get separated. Your vet can implant this simple device in your dog. Also, ensure they have secured tags and contact information!